Tuesday

Smile - You're on a Boat!

For our 3rd anniversary in June, I beat my life-long fear of water to go on the RI Bay Cruise Lighthouse Tour.
Rob worried that I would freak out at some point – cry, panic, threaten the captain to pull over or lose an appendage.

I think I did embarrass Rob a bit… by repeating, “This is awesome! I’m on a boat! Take a picture of me on the boat! I’m on a boat! This is awesome!”
Yes, I nearly drowned as a child. But I didn’t remember it for 15 years, so I’m probably naturally afraid of water. Specifically, large bodies of deep water. The thought of being in anything bigger than a basic backyard pool (above ground) terrifies me. Torture, to me, is an IMAX undersea adventure – I’d give up my own mother after the opening credits. And I love my mom.

While I’ve never wanted to be in it, I still find the ocean beautiful and calming. I love having my feet in the sand, walking the Marginal Way, listening to the waves at night, and touring lighthouses. So, during our first trip to Maine, Rob suggested taking the Nubble Lighthouse boat tour. After a furious head-shaking I said, “Never gonna happen.” No boats. Ever. Go alone.” He sweetly insisted for the next year that he’d convince me to try it. To which I would respond, “You’re so cute! But no.”

He became devious, showing me pictures of stunning lighthouses… that could only be seen by boat. He also started throwing my past fear-defeats in my face, reminding me how exhilarating it is to be brave, and succeed. The nerve!
Then my co-workers got in on it, telling me how they felt the same, but the Block Island/Martha’s Vineyard/Nantucket ferries are different – you don’t even know you’re on a boat.
I started saying, I’ll think about it; I’m working on it; I need time.
I needed three years. But I did it. I got on the boat, I stayed on the boat, I said “Wheeeeee” during heavy turbulence.
I pwned my fear.
Now I want to do it again!
And I know I could not have, and would not have, done it without Rob.
 I squint a lot. Super-sun-sensitive.
We’re heading up to Ogunquit in 2 weeks. There will be a Nubble Lighthouse tour. Oh yes, there will be a boat tour!

~Jen

Next post: less Jen, more RI Bay Cruise Lighthouse Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment